UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

42.195/2

If you look at the leader board for this year's Stanchart Singapore Marathon, you'd be forgiven for thinking the race was run in the wrong continent.

For the full 42, it was a Kenyan for both Men and Women. For the half 21, it was a Kenyan for the Men and thankfully a Brit lass for the Women. I suspect it was the same last year, and for all the other marathons run all over the world =)) The Afrikaan Advantage is clear when it comes to pounding the long-distance pavement. God knows why.

Anyway I shouldn't be talking so much since I didn't even take part in this year's run. With a packet-a-day habit nowadays, I won't even last a quarter marathon. OK of course I can do a 10 click lah but at what embarassing time I dunno =))

K took part in the half marathon though. Its like her 4th or 5th race this year already. Having done the Shape Run, New Balance Real Run, Great Eastern Run, Sheares Bridge Run and dunno what other run which I have lost track of. Congrats Sweetie! When I used to run circles around you (ok exaggerating =P), you now leave me huffing and (literally) puffing in your slip-stream =))

Running and fitness seem to be the in thing with Singaporeans nowadays with Sports-goods retailers reporting a tremendous spike in sales and profits. But how many are really into it for the love of the outdoors and how many are actually poseurs caught up with the 'hey-look-at-me-i'm-sporty' obsession remains to be seen.

Next year I am quite set on taking part. But I haven't run 21km at 1-go in the last 10 years or so. I mean completing it shouldn't be a problem. But doing it in a respectable sub-2hr timing should be abit of a challenge. Already I am doing far too much gym rather than cardio work.

Lets just see if I can do a sub-3 ciggies a day in the next month or so first shall we =P

4 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

oi afrikaan only refers to the south african chappies, in particular those white men of dutch heritage lah....wrong usage!!! =P

i think i'd run 4.2195 klick can liao...or roll perhaps... =))

8:15 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

aiyah peeper noe wat i mean can oredi lah =))

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wrong! Afrikaans is the language that south africans speak. :P

wow, k can run 21km??? hats off!

8:35 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

better start getting dat butt off the chair sammmm =))

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home