UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Monday, December 26, 2005

3 Boxes on Boxing Day

Who knows the true meaning of Boxing Day? Hands up! I sure don't. And like most goondus, I think that Boxing Day is the day you clear the house of the blardy boxes that have accumulated from all those pressies and gifts. But I'm also certain that its some angmo invention and a sorry excuse for those lazy buggers to give themselves another public holiday to shop at stores that put up excess Christmas inventory for sale at cut-throat prices.

Anyway today, I had my own 3 Boxes to contend with.

In the morning, I opened the box containing the pressie from my Mum. She has given me books for the past 6 Christmas-es and since this year's gift came in a squarish package, I was expecting something else, FINALLY! But alas it was not to be. I ripped open the gaudy wrapper to reveal a flat-ish box with a book inside, Rick Warren's Purpose Driven to be exact. I have no heart to tell Mum that these days, my bedtime readings include the trashy local entertainment weekly 8-Days, FHM S'pore and the UK car mag TopGear (where I do my own pyjama-purpose driving). Ok so Mr Warren has been on the New York Times and Wall Street Journal's #1 Bestsellers list. But I'm not yet ready to know God's purpose for me in this sad world through a 40-day spiritual journey that will supposedly transform my life. I am a materialistic epicurean Pagan destined to rot in hell with my Guccis! :)) On hindsight I shouldn't be blogging about this in here since I may want to give the book away next Christmas *blush* :))

In the afternoon, I finally had a taste of the famed Japanese Box dat is the Subaru boxer engine at the marque's new Hub in Toa Payoh. I test drove the Forester 2.5XT Turbo AWD, a mighty powerful sonofabitch of a SUV if i may say so. And when the salesman told me to take the bend dat wuz Lorong 7 at 90km/h, I did so, confirming the fact that the low-mounted boxer pistons does do wonders for traction, stability and all dat Symmetrical AWD hullabaloo. This is one fast SUV that doesn't know whether it wants to be a performance sedan or 4WD jungle-crawler. Perfect for fickle and finicky ole me! :)) But the salesman has to tell me how much I would be losing on my Renault first and then I must figger out what kinda sedatives I need to imbibe to numb the pain :))

In the early evening, the wifey dragged me shopping, AGAIN! We spent an hour in Mr Klein's trendy CK Jeans store alone. I tell you the stuff at the shop wasn't cheap, even with the discounts, and yet there was a crowd the size of a mini New York Stock Exchange trading floor on a Monday morning. A long line of grumpy CK-aficionados formed to the fitting-room and when it finally came to our turn, there was this blardy Chinaman who was running in and out of one of the little cubicles, each time bringing with him more tops and bottoms for his fat wife to try on, totally oblivious to the throng of impatient faces making loud tsk-tsks. At one point when I heard giggling coming from the inside, I felt like banging down the fitting-room door and giving the half-bald gent a nice big box (read punch) on his smug face. And someone please tell him, in heavily-accented Mandarin, that CK jeans are not for women with butts the size of small continents :))

So there, me and my boxes on Boxing Day...hope you had fun too!

10 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

that must have been fun...wakakaka...

as for moi, i took a leisurely breakie down at WINDOWS ON CLUB STREET and then went to catch the ape in action...then to cold storage to buy grub for party last night...went home tido for 1.5 hours and then out again for the party...

just like that, the whole blardy day's over...sheesh...

oh btw, on mc today...throat is all bleddy infected now... :(

8:55 AM  
Blogger kona said...

and dude, so what's the final decision on the forester?

just keep in mind your increased petrol bills hor...figger at least 40% up from your current...no shit...

u didn't try the legacy gt???

8:57 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

final decision? whether

1. I can stomach the huge losses on my current ride
2. I am in negative equity (unlikely)
3. I can stomach the significantly increased operating costs of a 2.5l Turbo 4WD

other than dat, the forester looks pretty certain :))

12:13 PM  
Blogger princesslonglegs said...

actually i think the forester suits u perfectly muff. i wan a ride in the new forester! can we go test-drive again before u order?? :p

12:50 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

u tink so Jo? wait go test drive again dun buy veli malu :))

3:17 PM  
Blogger kona said...

dun forget increased servicing costs too...a turb should go in every 7 to 8k km max...

oi got test the leg anot?? should at least try lah...

5:02 PM  
Blogger princesslonglegs said...

ya i tink so!!

big - like u
vain - like u
closet beng (so zhng-able!) - like u
spendthrift consumption - even more like u! :))
sleek but not wussy - like u!

what more u wan? the car screams u!stop thinking abt the defender la, u reali wan to get a super ex car with a G plate meh? :))

6:38 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

I'm lost for words! :))

5:20 AM  
Blogger kona said...

hahaha....KENA big time :))

well said wor, mojojojo...

9:25 AM  
Blogger unkster said...

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/boxing.asp

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home