UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Shift The Future

We had some VVIPs visit our workplace today. So I spent most of the morning running around like a headless chicken, making sure my guys didn't screw up. And because the VVIPs were a-visiting, my Number 1 ( dats the nick we give our top man) and his entourage of Directors were also in attendance.

I say again, not a good day to screw up!

Anyway, this is not about how me and my guys didn't screw up. Or about how, in spite of all the pressure, we still managed to score a couple of brownie points with Number 1=P

During the Delifrance- catered morning tea break, I had a chat with one of the Directors who let slip that I may be taking on a new appointment some time in September. A chance to leave this god-forsaken place! Hurray! But he was quickly non-commital when pressed by me for more details. I reckon he realized his slip because you know how these things are in the civil service, always hush-hushed for god knows what reason. Nowadays its literally 2-weeks notice and you're off to start your new life somewhere else.

For me, hazy-dazey as the news might be, I have mixed-feelings at the thought of leaving operational shift work behind. The hours are crazy, my biological clock is constantly going bananas, and while people out there go out and make merry during the weekends, here I am fighting fires at work. But I have alot of quiet time during the weekdays, when I'm not on duty. And while everyone else is slogging away, I have the pool and gym all to myself. Bliss!

I would probably never do shift work again. And frankly, the thought of putting in a full 5-day week from 8-6 scares me a little. I enjoy so much autonomy now that simply thinking about the monotonous daily routine stuck behind a desk in my room gives me the shudders.

But I tell myself that at least I have my TV-watching evenings back. I have my proper sleeping hours back. I have my weekends back. And I certainly won't be blogging at 3am in the morning =)) Short trips to regional spa resorts over the weekend would become a reality. I can go out for lunch with fellow colleagues again (now its pretty lonely cos few want to eat with me the boss). I can go take up a course in the evenings like French or Photography. I can perhaps resume my golf lessons and K's been bugging me to wakeboard on weekends.

The wonders of Fixed Hours! =))

However, most importantly, its a chance for me to start something afresh in a new environment. And leave a fair bit of happy as well as sad memories behind.

I hope I get to move. Its about time anyway.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck! so much for serani rice or popeyes huh? lol

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you ... i hope i can too

12:32 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

thks guys. now juz have to wait for dat Posting Order to turn up in my INBOX =))

and Den, i also tink its time for u to try something new. Curls got his chance oredi ;)

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea will b lookin ard end of this yr...can only effectively leave here after jan07...be it somethin new or not...i need an environment change...

8:41 AM  
Blogger kona said...

yo, muff...fingers and thumbs crossed for ya...

time for us 3 to go range together liao ;)

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good idea. now that i can fit into my golf shorts again!

lol.

10:01 AM  
Blogger princesslonglegs said...

:)

good la, change environment, fresh new start! God bless!

3:51 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

u noe how it goes, u wanna leave but when the time cums to really go, i m sure i'll be sad....

but wadever, go or not, i hv got some plans and changes lined up which I wld like to see executed whether i do go or not.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all the best muffy... a new challenge lies ahead! any chance of being posted overseas?

10:12 PM  
Blogger kona said...

ole ole ole ole!!!!

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's time to leave the nest.
all the best for your new career move!

4:44 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

aiyah right now, its still hear-say =/

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

then make it happens with your networking ability. ;)

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home