UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Friday, September 08, 2006

Elementary, Its Complementary

B and me have been buddies since Secondary 1.

Right up to JC2 and now we're colleagues in the same organization. So we go a long way back, about 20 years I reckon.

Well ever had people wonder aloud why you two are best friends when the both of you seem so different on the outside? Its like that with B and me. Chalk and Cheese, at least externally.

B's a smiley bloke, the epitome of diplomacy. I, on the other hand, am loud and brash. When presented with a problem, he'll be on the defensive and I'll be on the offensive. B listens to you attentively, eyes fixed and head nodding gently to the rhythm of your sentences. While you would be lucky if I don't cut you off in mid-sentence and present you with MY preferred solutions =)) And B would excuse himself over a meal to call the wife and kids to ask if they would want to tapao some bites. I would excuse myself over a meal to go outside and have a bite, of my ciggie.

So you see, a SNAG and a FAG-HAG. Strange bedfellows really =))

Although we work in the same organization, we hardly see each other nowadays. Well its a big place and the departments are spread out all over our tiny little island. B's in HQ, closer to the gods, and I am exiled way up north in my not-so-little fortress by the Straits filled with plankton. Our careers have also taken different tangents, with his on an adminstrative-managerial track, while mine in a more operational-leadership direction.

So B and me met for dinner and coffee yesterday evening. And as usual, we just mossied along from where we left off, a good 6 months ago. I felt a tad guilty updating B about my life since then. There was pretty much to say and he was surprised, rather shocked in fact, that it took me half a year to come clean.

But after I had finished with all my sad updates, I was reminded of why we are still buddies after 2 decades. He listens while I rant. I don't need quick-fixes really and he doesn't pretend to know-it-all. And in all his Zen-like calmness, I usually find my own solutions. He's sorta like my Shrink you see, bringing balance to the Force =))

And its not like I don't have a lesson or two for him on tempering diplomacy with a sense of acute urgency. There were times when I had to pluck B out from the merry-go-round of pleasing all-and-sundry and making himself upset in the pantry. A case of stripping away some of the Mr Nice-Guy veneer and getting him to swash-buckle that Light-sabre abit to get things moving along. He doesn't make people feel pain enough =))

At the end of the day, I think we are both complementary. I won't use the term 'opposites attract' because I think its disgusting in the male-male context =))

But that's what good friends are for ya? They play the part of the person you are not.

On demand =)

7 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

true friends indeed...always wonderful to have around... =)

8:20 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

yup. but the pool is getting smaller and smaller

1:01 PM  
Blogger kona said...

it happens as the years pass, people grow apart as other distractions from life appear...

wat to do...

i have known my best bud for 27 years, bro...i consider myself lucky =))

4:03 PM  
Blogger princesslonglegs said...

now i also dunno who to call my best bud... die liao :-\

1:01 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

it will prob come to dis, transient best buds...one or two for every phase of your life. change is the only constant nowadays.

1:31 AM  
Blogger kona said...

you may be right there, muff....all depends on how fortunate you are perhaps...i consider myself THAT fortunate =)

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to have 2 great buddies throughout sec sch and jc... but for the past 7 years it's been LML. :)

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home