UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Saturday, September 23, 2006

UnkEats - First Thai

Seeing tanks roll on the streets of Bangkok and GEN Sonthi Boonyarataglin sitting at the feet of King Bhumibol Adulyadej in the papers reminded me that I have a review of First Thai, at 23 Purvis Street, pending =))

Actually we were there 2 weeks ago and I somehow forgot to introduce you guys to this pretty authentic Thai restaurant, if you don't already know about it. OK its more of a kopitiam really, no air-con hor =)) But prices are very reasonable and the cooking quite home-styled. I suppose home-style means simple and no-frills lah. So don't expect your Tom Yam Goong to come in a ceramic Bencharong bowl, unless of course the utensils were purchased in bulk from Chatuchak market =P



This place, tucked in a corner of the street next to the popular Hainanese restaurant Yet Con, has been here for quite a while. At least since 3-4 years ago I reckon, may be longer. You know I have a confession to make. I don't really like Thai THAI Food. Its a little too sweet and coconutty for my liking. So I steer clear from stuff like Pad Thai, Green Curry, Red Curry, milky Tom Yam soups etc. What I really like is Thai-Chinese cuisine, if you can call it 'cuisine' at all. So when in Bangkok, I usually make a beeline for the stalls and foodshops along Yaowarat Road, Chinatown of the Thai capital.

And if I have a craving for Sawadee Surprises while in Singapore, it would be this place or the Thai-Chinese restaurant on the 4th floor of Sembawang Shopping Centre (can never remember the name except that they used to have a little stall at the basement of the foodcourt).

3 years ago when we started coming here to makan, it was still virtually unknown and quiet. Now, during mealtimes, you would be hard-pressed to get a table. No reservations are allowed so what to do, Q lor.

I have yet to taste a really authentic Tom Yam Soup in Singapore. None of the milky nonsense for me, I like the clear-soup type that looks deceptively benign but would burn a trail down your gullet =)) This Tom Yam Goong (Prawn) was, I suppose, above average lah. But I still dunno why they must stuff the soup with so much stuff. We order soups for a reason you know. 7/10.


Deep Fried Chicken Wings. Don't ask me if this is authentic Thai and why the wings have multiple slash wounds =)) Passable only, if not a little dehydrated. 5.5/10


Seafood Vermicelli. Ahhh this was sedap. With the Wok Hei (Cantonese for the slightly burnt aromas infused into the dish from the heat of the flame used to fire up the wok) somemore. 8.5/10.


Sambal Kangkong. Hard to screw up. Did not disappoint because it was helluva spicy. Better standby with a glass of cold water. 7.5/10.


You guys know that Pineapple Fried Rice is a S'porean invention right? You can't find it in Thailand =)) This one you can though, Olive Fried Rice. Suffice to say I am not a fan of olives but it was K's idea. And since she always waxes lyrical over this, it should be quite good lah. 7.5/10.


And this is a must-try. The deep-fried Grouper in Sweet-and-Sour Pineapple sauce. This is the only thing sweet I would take. Fish was really fresh to boot, soft on the inside, crispy on the outside with the savoury juices drizzled on the top. Nice. 8.5/10.


Wash it all down with some Thai Tangerine juice. A little too sweet but Tangerines are more refreshing than oranges. To me at least. 7/10.


So my lousy Maths gives First Thai an average of 7.3/10. Good enough, I suppose, to be standing in line for 20mins.

4 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

mrs kona would be all gleeful to hear about this place...thanks for the recommendation! ;)

7:54 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

i dun tink the Tom Yam hot enuff for her...=))

11:28 PM  
Blogger kona said...

jialat....but still, intend to try it probably next week...

1:29 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

go go. next door got Yet Con and next door to dat is the Beef Noodles wif chincalok. can do a hat-trick of eateries one shot =))

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home