UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Monday, October 23, 2006

In My Red

Those of you who are not into F1 racing probably won't know what I'm talking about.

Anyway its 4am, I can't sleep, and Swedish one-hit-wonder This Perfect Day's plaintive cries of In My Bed are in my head. Not to mention the incessant va-va-vroom of the V8s that just finished circling Interlagos 72 laps over.

Renault are best Constructors for the 2nd year running with their No1 driver Fernando Alonso bagging his 2nd Driver's Championship. I drive a Renault so I should be happy no? But I'm not exactly popping the Mumm just yet.

That's because I am a Scuderia Ferrari supporter. Although I am far from being your regular Tifoso. I haven't even been to Sepang to catch the scarlet rockets in action, let alone pay homage at the temple of Monza. An ardent arm-chair fan if you like.

But as I watched dear old Mikey start off from 10th, work his way up to 6th, drop back to last after a silly manoeuver and then come storming back to finish 4th under the sweltering Brazilian sun, I asked myself why I was rooting for the Cavallino Rampante instead of the Gallic Diamond.

Its kinda of a stupid question I know. But its bugging me, for some strange reason.

Izzit because Ferrari have the pedigree, the style and the substance? Or izzit a deeper obsession with something so desirable but unattainable? I know for sure I will never own a Ferrari in this lifetime =)) And although I like Mikey, I wouldn't start wearing a Super Aguri-emblazoned T-shirt even if by some stroke of divine intervention, the German decides to come out of retirement and switch camps.

Its about the Italian's snob appeal I guess. A case of flawless beauty and gifted brains. And although the French F1 team have really come out strongly the past 2 years in terms of power and reliability (they still build horribly unreliable road-cars btw), they are still more than a couple of miles away in terms of desirability.

Some people support teams because they admire a certain driver, others because they happen to drive a Honda, BMW or 3-Pointed Star. And I support a team because its desirable?

Always knew I was a little shallow.

Or am I? Hmmm...=))

6 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

hey it's the intangible cachet of the prancing horse, my friend...

wat a race eh?

wait till next season when the iceman rides for them... ;)

9:31 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

lets see how Kimi's nordic iciness balances out the fiery scarletness of it all.

a yummilicious marriage of sorts i reckon

12:45 PM  
Blogger kona said...

see my analysis in my blog lor ;)

4:45 PM  
Blogger unkster said...

if you want to watch in sepang, the key is to buy the ticket as soon as it goes on sale... then.. die die must go!

9:56 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

shall we time our trip up to KL next year to coincide wif the M'sian GP? dat wld be kind fun. we can hv a picnic on the cheapest and grassiest seats =))

2:07 AM  
Blogger kona said...

on! when do tix go on sale?

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home