UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Mental Picture

The fact that I entered a photo today for a little online contest set me thinking about where I am on the Good Exposure Scale.

I realise too that I've been shooting alot lately. Maybe because I've never been good at Art or painting. So besides writing, which incidentally I also enjoy, photography gives me just that little outlet for creative expression. Something I believe is important because we are constantly absorbing so much bad karma around us, sublimally or otherwise. And its a little cathartic to express one's thoughts, perceptions and appreciation for the less obvious, in pictures. Mental snapshots if you like.



I've never been one for stunning vistas. Or characterful Portraits. Eschewing these for a more different take on the mundane. Because, perhaps, I like finding gorgeousity in the grotesque. There is Inner Beauty, but there is also beauty in the way things are perceived. And when a photograph fleshes out the hidden potential of an object or activity, as a representation of what the photographer sees, the image records this unique perception for eternity. An archive of thoughts as it were.

I want to be technically more proficient yes. And I am certainly not adverse to shooting landscapes or people in the standard kind of way. But more than having pictures be a mere collection of pixels for the record, I think I want photographs to represent what I am thinking of.

At that particular fleeting moment in time and space.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger princesslonglegs said...

yayee! my fav pic! dun tink it'd win but then i think u'd really gain some valuable AFIs! ;) jiayou!!

12:00 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

err..i didn't enter dis pic...its the pic for the lanterns @ chinatown *blush*...

and wat is AFI? =))

12:44 AM  
Blogger JC said...

The basketball hoop/board shot is very nice. Simple yet.. speaks volumes.

3:18 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

thks...sometimes in life, things look so unattainable up there, against the backdrop of the endless sky..

12:34 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Yep. It certainly gives that certain feeling of haplessness.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home