UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Friday, February 08, 2008

Unkers@TheMovies - The Kite-Runner, 27 Dresses, KungFu Dunk, Sweeney Todd

A week at the movies for me. I don't think I've ever done 4 shows in 6 days before. Like some film critic like that.

Anyway I shan't give a lengthy discourse on the merits and demerits of each film. Just a few words to justify my own rating.


The first, was also the best of the lot for me. Although I didn't finish the book, I think the Big-Screen version managed to pull off the magic and emotion Khaled Hosseini intended for his audience. Afghans should be proud. 8.5/10.


Katherine Hiegl has a double chin but she oozes poise and class in some of the Little Black Dresses she parades in this movie, ironically, about Bridesmaid dresses and finding your own happiness. Entertaining, but largely cliched and forgettable. 7/10.


I am a Jay Chou fan and so it pains me to say that this show sucked. Even stepping in before with full expectations that it was going to be a CGI-ed flick of slapstick proportions. But you have to hand it to Prince Mumbly, at least he acts with sincerity and an unaffected coolness a few can replicate. And oh yes, veteran Eric Tsang sort of saves the show with his impeccable comic timing and high-pitched Eunuch voice. 6/10.


The Demon Barber of Fleet Street put me to sleep halfway through the movie with his incessant singing. Yes so Johnny Depp can warble, surprise surprise, but not at every turn and at every opportunity to emote, surely! The dark and macabre of Depp-Burton collaborations take on very bloody proportions this time but even then, the slitting of throats and gushing of haemoglobin got a little tired after awhile. Think Edward Scissorhands with sharp, jugular-slicing, razors. 7/10.

So there! Later today, it will be off to the Esplanade for a change. Shanghai Blues, a musical put up as part of the Huayi Chinese Festival of Arts here in Singapore.

A nice way to end my week at the Performing Arts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home