UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Monday, June 05, 2006

Sayuri's Sukiyaki

Enchanting, ethereal, intoxicating.

That about sums up Rob Marshall's Memoirs of a Geisha which K and me just caught on DVD. Yes I know, old news this show. But we are busy people =P

Memoirs brought back memories of Japan, a place we had the pleasure, or should I say K's 'displeasure', of visiting last year. Well I did drag her on a roller-coaster Shinkansen ride through 11 cities in 14-days from Nikko to Miyajima Island off Hiroshima with our backpacks =)) Phew! We needed another holiday to recover from that one.

But for a movie bursting at the seams with beautiful people (read Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, Michelle Yeoh and Ken Watanabe), we were enchanted with one little girl in particular, little Chiyo (the young Sayuri), played by 12-year old Japanese child-actress Suzuka Ohgo. Blardy good genes this little girl has I tell you. Those eyes.

Anyway, kudos to Ms Zhang for another fine performance in spite of all the flak she got for having the audacity to play the part of the Japanese 'whore' Sayuri. BUT, she still has lots to learn from the person she has long been compared to since the beginning, Gong Li. The latter's spiteful Hatsumomo in Memoirs clearly shows why she was Zhang Yimou's first paramour way before the young 'ingenue' Ziyi came along and made it a troublesome threesome.

Anyway for those who watched the show, I leave you with this endearing scene, where Chiyo meets the Chairman (Watanabe) on a bridge near the Hanamachi. And falls in love for the first time...



Chairman: It is too pretty a day to be so unhappy. Did you fall down? Why so shy? Nothing to be ashamed of, we all stumble from time to time. Do you see that enchanting lady in green? Once when she was just a myiko, she fell clean off her wooden shoes.
Geisha in Green: [laughs] It's true I did.
Chairman: And now look at her, so elegant...
Geisha in Green: Mr. Chairman, shouldn't we hurry? We will miss the beginning.
Chairman: We see the spring dances every year, we can spare a moment. What's your name? Don't be afraid to look at me. Do you like sweet plum or cherry?
Chiyo: You mean... to eat?
Chairman: I like sweet plum myself. Come. None of us find as much kindness in this life, as we should. My children wait for these every spring. [hands her the ice and spoon]
Chiyo: [looks at geisha by the tree, smears some of the cherry ice on her lips] Now I'm a geisha too.
Chairman: [laughs] And so you are. How did you come by such surprising eyes?
Chiyo: My mother gave them to me.
Chairman: Generous of her, wasn't it?
Chiyo: As you have been to me.
Chairman: Smile for me, won't you? [Chiyo smiles for him]
Chairman: There now, that is your gift to me. [hands Chiyo his handkerchief with the change inside]
Chairman: This will buy your supper. Now promise me one thing, next time you take a tumble... no frowns.[Chiyo nods]

5 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

great sets on this movie...

8:30 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

yup, i tink got a couple of Oscars for Cinematography, sets and costume design i tink..

i nid to re-visit old kyoto.

1:42 PM  
Blogger kona said...

the last time i was there, i was probably around 13/14...seems like centuries ago...well, it sure feels like it...

2:28 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

at 13/14, better juz stick wif Tokyo Disneyland or DisneySea. And yes, nearly 2 decades ago liao, better feel like it =))

3:21 PM  
Blogger kona said...

ya hor...sheesh 2 decades wor...dang...

i still remember sitting in front of space mountain on my own...scared the living shit outta me =))

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home