UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Look Ma, No Helmet!

Mum's a retired teacher.

She left the distinguished profession 7 years ago as Head of Department (English) at an obscure Primary School I used to visit as a child.

I am not a Mummy's boy. But yet at 34, sometimes (actually most times) I feel like I'm still in her class, one of the boys. Because the things she says to me, are the same things a motherly matron with chalk in hand, would say to her 40 rascals seated behind their desks in mock attention.

In short, I've never quite stopped being one of her students. And it irritates the hell out of me! For God's sake Mum I have 'pupils' of my own now =))

So the other day, I picked her up for dinner. It was her birthday. And I made the mistake of not telling her I got myself a shocking yellow sports car. Worst, I left my helmet, which I had bought for riding lessons, behind in the backseat. You see, speeding and motorbikes are 2 of her pet peeves. Smoking being the third transgression that would surely complete the terrible triumvirate. But she didn't have to know that I'm somewhat of a chimney. The Ciggie-embargo 2 hours before meeting her would keep that little secret all mine.

She got into the car, coolly strapped on her seatbelt and said, "from black to yellow ah?" She was referring to my old ride. Amazingly, she said nothing about exceeding the speed limit, even at 120km/h.

Then she looked behind and noticed the gleaming white round thing rolling about with every turn.

'You wear helmet to work ah?", she asked in almost believable innocence.

"I look like I deliver Pizza ah?", I answered. "Taking bike lessons lah".

'Why?", she countered.

"For fun", I retorted.

She let off an "Oh" that gave an almost unexpected semblance of finality.

Surprise, surprise. No sermon on why statistics officially show that motorbike accidents are the main cause of road-kill. And how Uncle Philip had skidded off the road into a canal 25 years ago after being side-swiped by a garbage truck. Obviously he met St Peter at the Pearly Gates, the poor man.

And all through dinner, there was no mention of how I should be driving slowly or how motorbikes are dangerous machines in the hands of novice riders bent on testing centrifugal forces around sharp bends. Amazing.

Finally, I thought, Mum recognises that I'm all grown up and can make responsible decisions which will not result in permanent paralysis from the neck down. She has faith in me!

And then just now, at 2am, I received an SMS from her.

Don't forget to wear helmet when u ride

Mummy!!! =))

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sweet. she must have been agonizing about sending you that sms for hours!

10:03 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

hours? more like 3days. dinner wuz on Sat =))

11:39 AM  
Blogger kona said...

wakakakaka...your mum sounds like a right riot...cool! ;)

6:00 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

yes, she's quite out of dis world...in a gd sense lah =))

2:38 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

hahaha...

i do wonder why she thinks her boy would go riding WITHOUT a helmet....something u your childhood u left out??

:P

2:18 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

i mean something in your childhood...

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sweet..u better tat helmet when you drive Kikou..kekke

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home