UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Monday, November 12, 2007

Unkster Unwound - CD of The Week

To think I used to call him Prince Mumbly.

All thanks to his trademark lazy enunciation and chic slurring. Anyway since 2 years ago, I've grown to adore Jay Chou's brand of R&B, Rap and Classical fusion-pop. He may not be much of a looker and actor. But since his foray into the Big Screen with Initial D, followed by Curse of The Golden Flower and this year's wonderful directorial debut, Secret, even Chinese Cinema doyen Zhang Yimou has remarked that one day, Mr Chou's skills may even surpass his own.

Not bad for someone who started off writing songs for people like Jolin Tsai, Vivian Hsu and S.H.E. Now the fella composes his own music, directs his own movies and videos plus produces all the stuff. I don't think many of the pretty boys and girls of Chinese pop can claim to have so much creative input into their output.




This year's album release is entitled On The Run (or I Am Very Busy if you take the direct Mandarin translation). In it, Jay once again shows off his smorgasboard of musical styles from American banjo Hillbilly folk to feet-stomping Blues-Rap. But he does it all in a way that the songs still sound distinctly Oriental. However I still love the man for his hauntingly melancholic ballads and Track No. 7 (I'm Not Worthy) does the trick for me. Plus it has an excellent music video which I have just finished watching for the like 12th time.

Yes I know, very star-struck pre-pubescent schoolgirl.



Well wait till I tell you I have tickets to catch his concert on 17 Jan next year.

Oh boy, what a Groupie!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home