UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Putting The Happy In Birthday

Its hard to not want to remember that its your birthday when the Many Happy Returns on SMS start coming in at half past eleven.

Reminds me of Christmas Eve, when everyone wants to beat the midnight Network crush. Only this time, I don't know what the big deal is about. OK so I sound a little ungrateful. At least people remember right? So thanks guys. Yes I am 35. Not exactly jubilant about it but not about to sulk either.

Why should I?

I think on this day of my birth more than a third of a century ago, I have many things to be grateful for. And in the hurly burly of everyday living, its as good an opportunity as any other, to stop and smell the roses.

Today, I am loved. And although they say its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved before, I have had the good fortune of having loved and lost, and yet loved in return even more. For this I am grateful. To be the world's biggest bastard sometimes, and yet experience so much heartfelt sacrifice. Truly blessed. But for reasons I cannot fathom.

Career-wise, I have made the most of a second chance to redeem myself. And from the way things look on the work front, I think I have made significant progress. Its not been easy to brush away the stigma of what has happened almost 2 years ago. But from the increasing responsibilities being heaped upon me, I know the Powers-that-be want to believe that I am capable of so much more.

These days, I am also at peace doing the things I enjoy. Alone or with company, it doesn't matter. I treasure my Me-Time as much as the periods of togetherness I spend with the people I care about. Books, photography, travel, film and theatre. These are the things I retreat to at the end of the day. Providing the perfect counterbalance to a career fashioned out of Law Enforcement and Policy.

So Happy Birthday to Me. Even if it rains in 10 hours, I want to go out and live life.

I think I owe it to myself.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

lao liao lo, buddy...but maturing ever more...like a good wine ;)

enjoy YOUR day, bro :)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

good wine eh? heh.

ya. thanks for writing and taking pics and being you.

i tink there's still more installed but till then...

what? you're ONLY 35?


:P

5:55 AM  
Blogger JC said...

*chuckle*

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home