UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Sunday, January 01, 2006

The New Year is Upon Us.

Originally posted here. My first post of 2006.



The smell of baking shellfish still fills my nostrils even though dinner was several hours ago. Because of our young children and my wife being ill, our new year celebrations were confined to a quiet dinner at home. We decided to prematurely end the frozen vacation of a 1 kilo lobster we had carted back from KL.

Nothing fancy, some light seasoning, dash of herbs and a large dollop of butter and then 15 minutes in the oven. It was very good. But the poor bugger got his revenge - he got me with one of the barbs on his claws, when I was splitting him in half! I have a small cut on my right index finger. Everytime I feel the pain, I will remember how delicious he was!

Much like the lingering aroma of baked lobster, the experiences and achievements of 2005 will remain etched in my mind for some time to come. It was a challenging year, both professionaly and personally - the work demands were at an all time high, resulting in corresponding elevated levels of stress throughout the year; family life was also highly demanding in comparison to previous years on account of having a second child. But it was a reasonably good year all around, with no major setbacks personally, and gaining some positive momentum professionally. However, the year did not pass without leaving behind some scars, much like the scar left behind by the now half-digested shellfish.

My friend's wife is losing her battle with cancer. I fear this may be the last New Years day she will see in her lifetime.

I have not been as good a father as I think I could have been to my children in 2005. Two nights ago, I slapped my son - the first time I've done this, but it was hard enough to leave a bruise on his face. While I thought it was necessary at the time (and still do), I know I could have just walked away from the situation.

Healthwise, I have let things get out of hand in 2005 - weight control went out the door and so did exercise. With the family medical history I have inherited from my fathers side of the house, my chances of living beyond 60 are not good unless I take matters into my own hand.

This year, 2006, must become a defining year for me. I turn 36 in a few days - close enough to middle age to start worrying about where I will end up in 20 years. The sands of time are running out.

I am not sure what I will do to make it a defining year, but defining year or not, my 3 key goals for 2006 are as follows:

Take control of my health - specifically I must lose at least 5 kgs and improve my fitness level

Be a better parent - while I am not sure what I need to do to get there, I know I can do a better job than I am now. I can start by doing things with them, rather then just 'keeping an eye' on them when they are in my care.

Accelerate my career development
- with a small amount of extra focus, I know I can achieve so much more. I have to move beyond my comfort zone more often and rise to new challenges.

While there are other things I want to achieve this year (like get my handicap down to 18) these are the most important to me. Everything else will be a bonus.

My New Year message to you out there. Enjoy 2006 - there won't be another year like it. And remember, if you are going to split a huge lobster in half, use a sharp, sharp knife.

9 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

happy new year, rich *wave* may this year bring to you all that you seek after, both professionally and personally... ;)

8:47 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

cum! lemme sayang dat fingee...awwww

10:18 AM  
Blogger princesslonglegs said...

i stil dun get the deal abt the lobster. thanks for lending me a reading eye last nite on YM, unker. u da best! anyway i dunno when ur bday is but u sure dun look old. so no worries.

here's an advanced happy birthday! and may u have a fun year of working out, parenting and career-planning! cheers!

1:38 PM  
Blogger unkster said...

thanks jo. nevermind about the lobster.

muffy... when when when? i havent wash waiting for you to sayang...

kona, *wave back* must have more kopies this year.. we stay so near to each other...

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy new year unker rj! i hope i'll get to meet u sometime soon!

10:46 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

wah unker curly, haven wash means got dried blood lah..ewww :))

and teapot, u haven met curly?:o

11:09 PM  
Blogger kona said...

curlywurly, when? i should be free tomorrow night leh ;) call me whenever ya :)

11:14 PM  
Blogger unkster said...

no teapot has not met me....

12:42 AM  
Blogger kona said...

wonder who should be more thankful LOL :P

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home