UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Sunday, August 19, 2007

The B B Bs

Sometime ago, I blogged about my wild idea with regards to opening a budget boutique hotel.

Well while skimming the Net for a nice place to stay at in Kota Kinabalu town, I chanced upon the Velvet Lodge & Lounge. And hey, they've got 'my' concept right! =))

I've always said this segment of the market needs alittle pampering and now Budget Backpacker Boutiques are finally springing up. I mean take a look at the pics below. If not for the double-decker beds which are somewhat of a dead giveaway, you wouldn't have imagined this was a Backpacker's haven would you?




Of course fotos can only say so much and we won't know the real deal till we get there but hey, Velvet seems to have got the whole Cheap and Chic thing right. At 25 Ringgit per person for an air-conditioned room, I am certainly not complaining. Who cares if you have to share your room and the common toilet with strangers. I mean its a Dorm so calibrate your expectations lah =)) Plus check out the kewl lounge to chill-out in. It puts a lot of 3-star hotels (dare I say some 4 stars) to shame with its Resort-styled wicker furniture and decor.

Being somewhat of an 'expert' on Boutique hotels, I say you can safely judge the quality of one from its website. And from what I see of Velvet's, I don't think we'll be getting a dirty, tacky, flea-infested room.

I hope! =))

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks good!

11:45 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

yes, for a Backpacker's Lodge dat is...=))

1:39 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

we've been around a couple of backpacker's place so far and honestly, some of these places are great.

there was one in Yukon with a different country theme in every room - complete with deco, well-allocated fridge & food storage space with baskets, full range of kitchen stuff, clean & heated spacious bath, more board games and books you can ever own in your life and free wireless network & PC if you haven't got your own notebook.

One in Wroclaw (Poland) even had DVDs and VCDs and a beautiful, cosy lounge to watch, complete with projector and sound system, not just a 29inch tv...

but not quite 25RM kind of price in such places...more like S$20-40 i think.

8:10 PM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

so how Zizoe? u & Dan interested in a joint venture? =))

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home