UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Monday, May 08, 2006

Mee in Siam

Just received confirmation today that I'll be leading a delegation up to Bangkok for a 5-day conference at the end of the month.

Not exactly my destination of choice. Especially when I just wrote a nice long letter of reccommendation for my 2IC who has been nominated to participate in a 2-month study trip to Japan. Had to fight the temptation to replace her name with mine =)) Yah right!

Anyway the Thais are putting us up at the 5-Star Sheraton Royal Orchid on the Chao Phraya so I guess that's SOME consolation.



I know Bangkok well. Having been there on special assignment for 6 months in 2003. Had a driver back then so could afford the time to explore all the nooks and crannies. Including taking a 2-hour drive to watch Liverpool play the Thai national team in the rain. I could also navigate Chatuchak and MBK blindfolded =)) When I was not out having a lunch meeting at some swanky but boring Thai hotel, I would head out to the only South Indian bananaleaf restaurant in town at Sukhumvit for my rice, fish-head curry and papadum fix. It was either that or my Hainan zichar shophouse at Silom. And I had my favorite road-side stall in Yaowarat serving up the absolutely delish Prawn in Vermicelli.

I also used to ta-pao a packet of guava and pomelo for movies at the Cineplex above The Emporium, standing up before the show like all good Thais when the national anthem was played and beloved King Bhumipol came on screen =))

I haven't been back in 3 years. K tells me BKK has changed. Hell, Siam Paragon now looks like Ngee Ann City and the once smoggy, jam-packed metropolis has taken on a cleaner, more modern and cosmopolitan air.

Actually I am so desperate for some time off the daily grind at work that I'll even take a pathetic seminar across the causeway in Johor Bahru =))

5 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

sound good wor...lucky u...eh, can ask you to buy me my havana club anot? :P

9:20 AM  
Blogger unkster said...

its time to plan an unkers road trip. we all want to get away from the grind of day to day work.... what say you?

11:13 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

aiyoh i anytime wan. its u curls, u r the one who has probs getting away =))

12:05 PM  
Blogger kona said...

yes yes yes....i am in, gentlemen...for shure...

KL?

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have fun!

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home