UnkFM Is Playing : Love Story - Taylor Swift

unkster

Where Unkers over 30 sip Lavazzas, rave about Alfas and reminisce lost but not forgotten SoulmateS...

Friday, January 12, 2007

Push And Pull

I can't say we didn't see this coming.

The economy's doing pretty well and its very much an employee's market out there. But when you're barely into your 2nd week of the new year and already have to deal with 6 resignations, surely there must be some questions running through your mind.

Well they all cited a change in environment, further studies and better prospects elsewhere as reasons for quitting. But still it is a good time for a little reflection. I am not so concerned with the external pull factors, I am more interested in the internal push.

Like if I've been a good, listening boss. Or do I expect too much from some people too soon? Maybe I don't communicate my expectations clearly enough. Or perhaps I should have tried to built more challenges into their daily routine. Have I been too demanding? Arrogant even, when I dish out stretch goals. Has too much emphasis been placed on discipline instead of development?

They didn't really tell me. Trying to be polite and diplomatic I suppose. But surely, a few of my managerial shortcomings would have featured as one of the reasons to leave? The tricky bit is finding out which one so I can tweak it.

I mean I didn't have to spend like half an hour interviewing each and every resignee, making sure they have put enough thought into bidding a 'fond' sayonara. I could have just said hello, sit down, ok why are you leaving, good luck and good bye. All over in 5 minutes. We recruit more than what we lose to resignations and retirements so I could fill up the vacated positions easily.

But that's not the point is it?

The boss asked me to participate in his 360-degree appraisal the day before. That is, his report card put up by our big boss, a couple of his peers and a couple of his subordinates (i.e moi as one of 2 'lucky' minions).

I think before we get too deep into the new year, I should be asking for a three-sixty myself.

Just to be sure.

4 Comments:

Blogger kona said...

do it...but be prepared for the feedback even if it may be negative...no matter what, you'll learn from it ;)

8:19 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

i actually attended a course on giving and receiving negative feedback. would u believe it? =))

2:50 PM  
Blogger kona said...

hah??? like dat oso can?

8:40 AM  
Blogger FlyingMuffyn said...

yes. like dat oso can! =))

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home